Summer Reading List

June 22, 2017

Summer Reading List

Summer Reading List

As much as I try to read during the school year, it's just too hard to balance reading for class and reading for pleasure. During the summer, however, I try to cram in as much as possible. I've been on a bit of a TV binge for the last few months, but I'm ready to get back to my reading roots and pick up one of these five incredible books.

Bad Feminist, Roxane Gay

I've already begun this collection of essays, and I've seriously enjoyed the peek into Gay's life. She has such a hilarious, yet important voice, which makes for the perfect mix of informative and interesting. So far, my favorite essay was the story about competitive Scrabble. I never knew it existed, and now I am dying to attend a tournament (just to see the drama). Read Bad Feminist if you're interested in gender, race, and feminism, or just want to hear some great stories. 

I mentioned this book in Five Favorite Feminist Reads — check it out for more suggestions. 

The Great Movies, Roger Ebert

My wonderful father bought me this collection for my birthday, and I can't wait to dig in. Ebert was a well-known film critic with the Chicago Sun-Times for many years, and even won the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism. This collection brings together 100 of his essays, of which he claims survey 100 of the best films ever released, ranging from old classics like Citizen Kane and Gone with the Wind to newer successes such as Fargo and Do the Right Thing. As a film junkie, each essay is almost as exciting as watching the movie itself. This collection is also a perfect gift for any film lover!


I listed this novel in 2017 Reading Bucketlist, but I still haven't started it. The story was published in 1967 and follows the narrative of a group of teenagers — but it's known to transcend both its time period and age group through the overwhelmingly relatable storyline. Now that I have much more time on my hands, I will hopefully get to reading this novel. 

The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

With all the buzz about the popular Hulu adaptation of this novel, I think it's due time for me to read it. I do want to watch the TV show, but I want to be a nerd first and read the original before watching it play out. I have heard wonderful things about the story, and also know that it is still relevant 31 years after its publication. Even though the novel takes place in a somewhat fabricated, dystopian world, the story is still a reminder of what women went through to get to today's status, and the challenges we still face in modern society — and could face if we don't remember to keep fighting. 


My last read is a bit of a cheat because it won't be released until September, but I'm including it because I have an in with the author. My successful, accomplished mother's third novel is aimed at readers ages 8-12, told from multiple perspectives, and follows one boy's refusal to sit down during class. Pre-order the book for your younger cousin that can't sit still, your kid that won't put their fidget spinner down, or anyone that wants a good laugh and a light read. Mom, I'm so proud of you. 


What's on your summer reading list?

4 comments

  1. Ahh I read Handmaid's Tale in college and I thoroughly enjoyed it (and I'm loving the Hulu series as well - so scary what could happen!)
    I'm adding Bad Feminist to my reading list as well as Roxane Gay's new book, Hunger. She's such an incredible writer and speaker I'm really excited to read them!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently re-reading the Harry Potter series! I'm on the 3rd one, but it will probably take me all summer to get through the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these (aside from The Outsiders so I totally feel like I need to add these to my list! I need to recheck my 2017 reading list, but I really want to read Almost Adulting by Arden Rose! And Sarah Dessen's new book was on my list but I literally just finished it a couple of nights ago so I guess I can cross that one off of my list!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne