Ten Feel-Good Films To Get You Through a Rough Time

March 30, 2017

Ten Feel-Good Films To Watch

If you didn't notice from the lack of a new article on Monday, I'm having a bit of a rough time adjusting to life back from spring break. Although I had a relaxing week off, I am now back in the full swing of exams, papers, and extraneous tasks. I'm having trouble catching my breath. Nevertheless, I have to remind myself that blogging is a fun hobby, not something that should cause me extra stress (read: why I'm done with blogging about blogging).

When I've got two essays, three quizzes, two interviews, and three articles on the horizon - all I want to do is curl up in bed and watch a good movie. Aside from reading, hitting play on a feel-good film is one of the only things that improves my mood. I could really use some of that these next few weeks, so if you're in a similar boat, check out one (or all) of these ten options. (Also, there are so, so many spoilers in here. Sorry!)


Legally Blonde

Probably my all-time favorite movie, Elle Woods' undying courage, confidence, and perseverance inspires me to achieve my dreams. More importantly, however, it makes me laugh. This movie has so many classic one-liners, and it also gives a whole cast of hilarious characters to love. Plus, it's the ultimate revenge story - Elle proving to Warner that she is much smarter than he realized, and not even caring once he has figured it out inspires me to basically be a girl boss. Thanks, Elle!


Sixteen Candles

I couldn't resist including this 80s classic in my list. Having your family forget your 16th birthday but eventually celebrating it with your high school's most popular (and cutest) senior seems like a dream come true for most teenage girls. Molly Ringwald's portrayal of Sam is spot-on. She manages to capture the perfect balance of not caring and actually caring that makes Sam such a relatable character. I can't get enough of her sighs, shrugs, and eye rolls.


13 Going on 30

This is a movie I have loved for years, and it never fails to put a smile on my face. Although I tear up a little when Jenna returns to her childhood home to have her parents cook her pancakes with a smiley face, the outcome is ultimately gratifying. Jenna's optimism even with skipping 17 years of her life always amazes me. I also love how she is able to turn her life around and become a nicer person than she would have been.


Tangled (Or, Any Disney Movie of Your Choosing)

Tangled is a random choice, but it is one of my favorite Disney films. While these stories may not be very realistic, they do give me hope for the future with their storybook happy endings. I love Tangled because of Rapunzel's persistence (and her ability to use a frying pan as a weapon). Some other classic faves are The Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, and Beauty and the Beast.


Reality Bites

This movie may be a more unconventional choice, but it always reminds me that everyone goes through the same emotions of hating the world at some point. Young Winona Ryder is fantastic in portraying the lost, confused, disgusted feelings that are experienced in the big transitions of young adult life. I also love the vintage 90s feel. This movie may not be as cutesy as the others, but it will definitely help you cope with reality.


No Strings Attached/Friends With Benefits

Whichever of these movies you choose (and they're basically the same story), either can put a smile on your face and make you believe in love. Case for No Strings Attached: Natalie Portman is awesome, and so is the scene of her shoving donuts in her mouth while singing at the top of her lungs (and crying). Case for Friends With Benefits: Mila Kunis is also awesome, and I love how blunt she is. Case for marathoning both together: Ashton and Mila are together now and I think it's hilarious that they were in such similar movies and ended up getting married.


10 Things I Hate About You

Ah, a forever favorite. When I discovered this gem of a movie I was stoked. Heath Ledger's gorgeous smile and unending charm and Joseph Gordon-Levitt's goofy, dorky adorableness are enough to steal the show completely. The intertwined love stories make me smile from ear to ear. Plus, I can't help but love a Shakespeare-adapted story (and a movie that involves Heath Ledger singing some classic Frankie Valli).


The Devil Wears Prada

Meryl Streep's performance as the editor-in-chief of a prestigious fashion magazine is incredible. She stunningly captures the style, grace, and pursed lips of unapproachable fashion icons. I also love how Andy finally stands up to her at the end of the film and goes her own way. While I semi-cringe at her giving up the opportunity to be a big-time fashion editor (I mean, that's basically my dream job), I completely understand why she does it and appreciate that decision.


A Cinderella Story

This may be a less popular choice, but the twist on the classic fairytale makes me smile (as well as the happy ending). The 2000s-ness also really gets me, but not as much as the overdramatic rainstorm that finally ends the drought (not to mention that it happens exactly as Sam gets her romantic kiss with Austin). Plus, there's an incredible amount of satisfaction in seeing Sam take back her life and get her revenge against the evil step mother and sisters.


Singin' in the Rain

Lastly, this movie never fails to put me in a happy mood. The musical numbers, fun dancing, and friendly relationships give the film cheerful, optimistic vibes. I can't help but sing along. If you've never seen this classic before, I highly, highly recommend it.


What's your favorite feel-good movie?

2 comments

  1. Well I know what I should watch....tonight! Uh, girl, I feel you though! At least these feel good movies can make us smile for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have those short moments of relaxation!

      Delete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne