Valentine's Day is just around the corner, if you haven't noticed from the store front displays, grocery store candy aisle, and influx of gift guides. Although the holiday is as cheesy as they get, I'm equally excited to have a nice dinner for Valentine's Day and to spend Friday night with my girls celebrating Galentine's Day. We've got the ultimate chick flick list set, and are planning on setting up a chocolate fountain for some decadent fondue (treat 'yo self, right?).
As much as I'm looking forward to this weekend, I've also done some thinking about how I could make Valentine's Day a more fulfilling holiday. While this day is an important time to cherish your loved one, it obviously doesn't have to be about romantic relationships. It can be a day to remind your friends, parents, or siblings how much you love them. That being said, it's also the perfect time to remind yourself of your love for, well, yourself.
Now I don't mean to be narcissistic or self-obsessed by any means. I just think it's important to stop and think about how great you are. Yeah, you! You're awesome. You get up every day and interact with people (seriously, that can be so hard sometimes), go to school or work, problem solve, and think about others all day. Now, it's time to think about yourself. In addition to your Valentine's and Galentine's Day plans, pencil in some valen-time for yourself.
Whether it's treating yourself to something you've wanted for months (I just purchased the Tarteist Pro Palette that I mentioned in my Makeup I Would Buy If I Won the Lottery article), or clearing out a night to do some at-home spa treatments, give yourself a reminder of your own achievements and success. You deserve to be treated like royalty. And you don't have to wait for a romantic partner to know your value. It will probably feel even better if you acknowledge all on your own the fact that you are wonderful the way you are. It's as Leslie says in Parks and Recreation,
Make yourself feel like a beautiful sun goddess this weekend. And don't let anyone take it away from you. You are worth a million bucks, and more.
Speaking of treating ourselves, here are 10 Valentine's Day-themed goodies that I recommend for a gift for yourself, your partner, or your gals.
- Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow Palette - thanks mom & dad - best Valentine's Day present ever
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Honeycomb - perfect to pair with a bold eye
- Maybelline Matte Lipstick in Siren in Scarlet - the best affordable red for a classic look
- Milani Rose Blush in Romantic Rose - pairs gorgeously with any bold eye or lip
- Tarte In Bloom Palette - amazing matte shades for a red-toned eye look
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light - gives a stunning, subtle glow
- The Body Shop Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Butter - smells gorgeous and feels luxurious
- Essie Bahama Mama - a sultry but feminine polish choice
- Essie Fishnet Stockings - the classic red option
- Essie Splash of Grenadine - a fun, bright pink shade
Shop my favorites: