The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried

February 20, 2017

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

Sometimes, when midterms, deadlines, and stress are all pressing in, you just need 15 extra minutes of sleep. I'm here to tell you that this dream is possible - without sacrificing your polished style. After sleeping in later than expected, it may sound appealing to roll out of bed, throw on sweats and a t-shirt, and go to class with a bare face and a messy bun. And while it's perfectly acceptable to do this, it's also equally as important (for me, at least) to keep up your appearance. This isn't some narcissistic goal - I simply find that when I feel good about my appearance, my determination, focus, and overall well-being follow suit. But, as mentioned earlier, it can be nearly physically impossible to get out of bed some days. And even more impossible to craft a fashionable look when half-asleep.

So, what do you do when you've already hit snooze 4 times and only have 15 minutes to get dressed, grab a granola bar, and make it halfway across campus?

Rewind to the night before. Instead of spending an hour scrolling through Instagram or Pinterest (as I often do), cut out 5 minutes to pick out a go-to outfit. You don't necessarily have to do this the night before, either. Whenever you've got the time, make a rotation of about 5 simple, yet stylish outfits that are easy to put on when you're still half asleep. I'd recommend picking a few that work for different types of weather, just in case you get an unexpected warm spell or an unusually cold day. You could also choose outfits with layers, such as cardigans, button-up shirts, or scarves. I'm a fan of great jeans and t-shirt, accompanied by a killer pair of shoes. Simple, but stylish.

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

My current favorite go-to outfit involves this amazing camel coat from Old Navy. The color is unfortunately seasonal, but Old Navy is currently rotating a few spring shades. I personally love the off-white one. If you're still interested in a camel coat, there's a great one from Asos that has a rustic, undone vibe. Another beauty from Asos are these floral boots, which are amazing dupes for my discontinued pair. I also love this runway-inspired pair from Topshop. A great coat and fun floral boots look high-fashion, but are also wearable for class, meetings, and study sessions. Try to keep the rest of the outfit casual; this will help to tone down the fashion-forward aspect.

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

Although you may want to, you can't wear the coat at all times. When you need to take it off, a slouchy purple cardigan is comfy, but also adds a punch to your plain white tee. My cardigan is no longer available, but you can find similar versions at both Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack. As for my tee and jeans, I'm wearing the 7 For All Mankind Kimmie Crop, which are a perfect pair for short girls like me. They're supposed to be cropped, but on my 5-foot frame they just look normal. I'm also sporting the Everlane Box Cut Tee, which is the best t-shirt I've ever tried. It defines the perfect fit between too tight and too loose. I already have one in black and white, and I am considering buying more. Adding a personal accessory, like my vintage belt, will keep the outfit from looking too cookie-cutter. Find a piece of quirky jewelry or colorful sunglasses to add a pop of fun. 

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

Don't neglect your face and hair, either. Your outfit may be runway-worthy, but that extra 15 minutes of sleep probably wasn't enough to banish your late night-induced dark circles. It's not necessary to paint on a full-blown smoky eye, perfect foundation, and kiss-proof lips, however. You can still achieve a polished look with just a few products. Always begin with a clear face, whether it's primer and concealer (my preference), or tinted moisturizer/BB cream. My all-time favorite is the Nars Creamy Radiant Concealer. Basically, find something lightweight to slap on your face in a minute. All you need is to even out your complexion.

The next step is to find a feature to highlight - whether it be lips, eyes, or cheeks. Recently I've been into a bare face, with an emphasis on highlighter. My current highlighter fave is the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid in Moonstone. I also love a bold lip with a few coats of mascara; my favorite pairing is the Nars Audacious Lipstick in Audrey with the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara (pictured above). Another viable option is the 2 minute smoky eye, using something like the Rimmel Shadow Stick or the L'oreal Silkissime Eyeliner. All that's needed is a smudge of liner on your top and bottom lash lines, then your finger, a q-tip, or a small brush to blend out the line into a smoky eye. It looks like you've spent some time getting your look together, but all it took was 5 minutes.

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

The College Girl's Guide to Looking Like You've Tried | Simple Steps for Getting Ready in the Morning

Simplified, here are your 4 steps to looking like you've tried, without putting in any effort:

1. Pick out a few go-to outfits to rotate. Past you does all the work, and present you gets all the credit. 
2. Hit your snooze button to your heart's content.
3. Pick one feature and highlight it with makeup. 
4. Run out the door and await your compliments. 

Shop my go-to outfits:

Shop my 5 minute face:


Follow

What do you do to get ready quickly?

10 comments

  1. Loving all of these looks! Even after college, I still love wearing things like this to make me feel put together;)

    Pink Champagne Problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great way to boost your confidence :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous outfits! I love having an easy outfit formula for those busy mornings! I ADORE your camel coat in the first outfit! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one of my favorite pieces right now :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It really pulled the look together! Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I love this camel coat! I have a similar one and its such a wardrobe staple - definitely an essential in my life x
    www.katherinerosie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how it adds an extra pop to every outfit!

      Delete
  5. Loving your blog, Cassie! And the photography is beautiful. I love wearing Everlane tees and blouses! Their clothing works even for someone as (cough) old (cough) as me ; )

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! Everlane is a great brand :)

      Delete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne