The Sub-Par Product Regime

September 26, 2016

NYX Pore Filler Primer, Revlon Color Stay Concealer, Maybelline Master Conceal, Covergirl Full Lash Bloom Mascara

I have gone nearly this entire year without buying any (expensive) makeup. There have been a few gifts here and there, but as mascaras and concealers go, I've really been relying on a few drugstore products that I bought on a whim. Most of the purchases I've made have let me down, and I have therefore deemed the products sub-par. I feel that it's my duty to warn others of the problems I've had with these, as to ensure that other makeup-loving budgeters (hopefully) find something better.

Revlon Color Stay Concealer
I'm actually embarrassed to admit how much longer I've had this than you're supposed to. The issue is that some high-end concealers (Nars Radiant Creamy, Urban Decay Naked) cost relatively the same as 2-3 meals, so I've been opting for showing my dark circles in lieu of starvation. The texture is oddly thick, which would typically show up more opaque, however this blends thinly (and slightly patchy) and doesn't end up doing much for coverage. In addition, it has a pretty short wear-time, and powder only adds about an hour or so to it. The one semi-redeeming quality of this concealer is that it has a yellow tone, so it's (sort of) helpful in covering dark circles. Unfortunately because of the rest of its downfalls, that one area doesn't really matter.

Maybelline Master Conceal Concealer
I had heard a few decent reviews of this and decided to buy it, mostly because it's relatively cheap, but also because (read above) I need a better concealer. While I like the packaging and the fact that it's in a hygienic squeezable tube instead of having an applicator, the product itself doesn't do much to cover redness, acne marks, or dark circles. It's a very thin formula, which could be great for a light summer day, but right now I need something closer to the heavy-duty side. For now I'm using this to touch up throughout the day.

Benefit Erase Paste Concealer
This was one of the first ever color-correcting concealers I tried. I've had ups and downs with it, but mostly downs. The orange-peach shade is perfect for canceling out blue-purple bags, but the texture is off. It's pretty drying, meaning you really have to apply a hydrating eye cream beforehand (I've been loving Yes to Blueberries Eye Firming Treatment). Sometimes, however, that isn't even enough to stop this concealer from applying patchy. In addition, it doesn't layer very well with other concealers, so trying to add some extra coverage will result in even more patchiness.

NYX Pore Filler
This primer is meant to mimic that of the Benefit Porefessional Primer, the silicon-y, mattifying primer meant to make your skin look smooth and essentially unnatural. I thought this would be a great dupe for that, and while it is meant to do the same thing, I find that it doesn't smooth over the skin very well. This definitely has the matte-aspect down, but applying it over the areas where I have large, defined pores kind of makes them stand out even more. The product also tends to bunch up on my skin and overall give an uneven, odd texture to my face. For oily summer days it works pretty well, but it definitely doesn't cover my pores.

Covergirl Full Lash Bloom Mascara
I'm always on the lookout for a great and inexpensive mascara, and I typically enjoy what Covergirl has to offer. This mascara, however, falls short of my expectations. It gives minimal volume and length, and tends to wear off slightly throughout the day. It might be nice for a lazy, "no makeup" type of day, but that makes it very un-versatile (plus I just love dramatic lashes). In addition, one thing I love about mascaras I've used in the past is their ability to make my lashes hold a curl as the day goes by, but this one makes my lashes fall.

Maybelline The Rocket Waterproof Mascara
Another mascara that was a failed attempt: the impossible to remove waterproof version. I absolutely love how this makes my lashes look. It's the complete opposite of Covergirl's - volume, length, definition galore - but I've tried many ways of removing it at the end of the day and cannot make it happen. I end up going to sleep after having removed about four eyelashes in an attempt to free my eyes. I love the way it looks throughout the day, but I can't handle waking up to crusted-on mascara.

What are some sub-par products that you've tried lately?

Post a Comment

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne