Getting the Blues for Spring

April 17, 2016


About a month ago (I know, I was eager) I discussed the first trend, glowy skin, that I'm planning on replicating throughout the spring and summer, which you can read here. Another thing I saw from brands like Hugo Boss and Marc Jacobs was cobalt blue on the eyes. They obviously showed these trends in very avant-garde, out of my comfort zone manners, but I think I figured out a few ways to make it a little more 'regular person friendly', but still fun and a bit daring.

I'm a huge fan of wearing eyeshadow on my lower lash line to create a smoky effect (read a whole post about that here). Blue is one of my favorite shades to do this with, so to try this out for yourself grab a dark blue pencil liner, something a bit softer, like the Rimmel Scandal Eyes Liner in Deep Blue. Run this along the bottom lash line and into the waterline. Feel free to make this as messy as possible, because the next step is to take a dark blue shadow, my favorite being Navy from the Lorac Pro 2 Palette, and use a small shader brush to blend out the liner. I personally like to stop before the inner corner, but feel free to make it as dramatic as you want.

For something more bold, use the same shade from the Lorac palette to create a full smoky eye. To make this as simple and easy as possible, begin with a product that primes the eye and adds a base color. The Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige is perfect for this, as it leaves a nice taupe shade while making sure the eyeshadow you place on top will stay all day. Next I add a transition shade into the crease, so for this I mix Lt Brown and Cool Gray. To incorporate the blue, I pat Navy on the outer third of my lid, making sure to blend the edges. I then begin blending it into the outer half of the crease, stopping when it's completely seamless with the other shadows. Finish off the look by adding some black liquid liner and lots of mascara.

A fun twist on a classic is to create blue winged eyeliner. The Stila Liquid Eyeliner has four different blue shades to choose from, ranging from Periwinkle to Midnight. This liner truly does stay all day without flaking, smearing, or getting patchy. To create a foolproof flick, place a piece of tape on the outer corner of your eye, lining up with the bottom lash line. Use the liner to draw a thick line on your upper lash line, then follow the guidelines of the tape to wing it out. To be 100% honest, I'm pretty bad at winged liner, so reading up on some visual step-by-steps might help you out. As a bonus for this look, add some blue mascara to your top and bottom lashes. Benefit and YSL both have versions, but NYX does a much cheaper option.

Would you wear blue on your eyes?
What's your favorite bold eyeshadow look?

3 comments

  1. I have been experimenting more with my lower lash line lately and I find it really makes you eyes stand out and look bigger but I stil haven't got daring with brighter colours, wouldn't mind wearing blue for a night out though could see it really making my eyes pop.

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    A Day In The Life Of London
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog title! Blue isn't something I wear often in my makeup, but I love trying new things, so maybe someday!

    Batty4Beauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue is my favourite colour hence I really loved your post :)

    https://vigiraj.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne