Getting the Glow for Spring

March 13, 2016

Glowing Spring Skin: makeup & skincare

The weather isn't exactly reflecting it, but spring is near. I've been quite bored with my makeup lately, so I turned to some fashion week experts to get an idea of this season's upcoming trends. Unfortunately many brands showcase makeup that's a little difficult for...ahem, non-high fashion models, to pull off every day. One thing I did notice with brands like Balmain, Chloe, and Marc Jacobs was bronzed, glowing skin that had an almost shiny appearance. I figured this all-over highlight was pretty easy to work with, so decided to recreate it myself.

Exfoliate regularly:
The first step to glowing skin begins with skincare. It's important to not over-scrub your face, but I like to use a cleansing water every night with an exfoliating cotton pad to make sure my dead skin is mostly gone. The Simple Micellar Cleansing Water is absolutely amazing at gently removing makeup and making everything super smooth. Every once in a while I also like to use an exfoliating scrub, so I pull out the Fresh Sugar Face Polish and use it very lightly on my cheeks, nose, and forehead. To read more about my skincare routine, go here.

Hydrate your skin:
The best thing you can do for your skin is drink lots of water every day. I make it a goal of mine to drink at least 3 or 4 water bottles per day, and I love the effect it has on my skin. Everything is brighter and clearer. In addition, eating a lot of fruits and veggies can improve the appearance of your natural skin. If that's something you're not good at, at least make sure to use a nice moisturizer, especially during drier weather. I'm currently testing out the Yes to Coconut Ultra Hydrating Moisturizer. I'll report back on how I like it. There are tons of different moisturizers for each skin type, so make sure to find one that's right for you.

Prime your face:
I have quite oily skin, so sometimes in the summer I like to start with a mattifying primer, like the NYX Pore Filler Primer. If I'm not as oily one day, I'll go for the Rimmel Fix & Perfect Primer or the Clinique Superprimer Universal. I'm quite interested in trying the Too Faced Hangover Primer, because I've heard the most amazing things about it. That one is made with coconut water, so it's very hydrating and would probably create an awesome glow.

Conceal sparingly:
I'm so in love with the Bobbi Brown Corrector right now. It's amazing for concealing my dark circles, and it lasts quite a long time. I pop on a little bit of the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer over that and over my spots - but very sparingly. I'm trying to be more comfortable with my natural skin, so I like to not mask my face completely. I've stopped wearing foundation because I typically find that it weighs down my skin and always looks patchy and weird.

Powder lightly:
Because my face is so oily, I really need to use a bit of powder. The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light has been stealing my heart recently, so I take a small amount of this and put it on the center of my forehead, the inner corners of my dark circles, and down the bridge of my nose. It's important to dab this, not brush it, because that won't move around the concealer underneath. This powder is wonderful because it's not completely mattifying, but takes away some shine and adds a subtle glow.

Bronze:
I don't always do this step, but if I'm feeling extra pale or want a very 'beach goddess' look, I do. The Nars Laguna Bronzer will always be my fave, so I take this with a fluffy brush and lightly brush it on my temples, forehead, cheeks, and down my neck a little. Make sure this is completely blended, or else you'll look like an oompa loompa. Another bronzer I love is the Too Faced Chocolate Bronzer.

Add a pop of blush:
A bright pink blush goes perfectly with this glowy look, but unfortunately the two I've been using are limited edition. However, what I've been doing is to take a light pink blush and place this towards the back of my cheeks, closer to my hairline, and then place a bright, almost neon pink blush closer to the apples of my cheeks as a pop of brightness. Something like the Nars Blush in Gaiety, the Tarte Blush in Dollface, or the Bobbi Brown Blush in Pale Pink would do the trick.

Highlight:
The Hourglass powder is already a bit highlighting, but I like to put a little extra shimmer on my cheekbones, down the bridge of my nose, and on my cupid's bow. For this I'm still in love with the Becca Champagne Pop Highlighter. I always use a light hand for this, because it packs a serious punch. For a full review of that, go here.

What spring makeup are you looking forward to?
Do you like matte or highlighted skin?

3 comments

  1. I love this post! I think I'm into glowy skin, a strong highlight never hurts haha :)

    Lina / lina-khalifa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix of drugstore and high end for this look!
    xoxo
    Serein
    http://sereinwu.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything white powder based is a good powder for oily skin Urban Decay De-Slick is a good one for that!

    Meme xx

    New Post:
    Five Benefits Of Cricket Flour That May Change Your Perspective // Crobar Review*
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne