The College Girl's Guide to Healthy Dorm Snacks

March 6, 2016

Healthy Dorm Snacks for College Students

I'm a freshman in college, which means I live in the smallest space in the world: the dorm. My room is pretty freakin' tiny, and if I want to use an actual kitchen, I have to venture out into the common space of my floor. Then I risk the chance of seeing other people. And let's be honest - who wants that? All jokes aside, staying healthy while in college, especially when living in the dorms, is a difficult feat. Luckily, I've figured out a few ways to stay active and not eat crap all the time. Today's topic is all about the food I like to keep in my room.

The Breakfasts:

Granola Bars
Sometimes I wake up way too late for class and need to grab something quick while I'm running out the door. I like to keep a stash of healthy granola bar options for those days. A lot of bars can actually be very sugary, high in sodium, or not be very nutritious, so I make sure to read the label very carefully. My favorite brand is Kind, especially the Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Pecan flavor.

Oatmeal & Cereal
For days when I do have time to have breakfast, I typically opt for one of these two options. My favorite flavor of oatmeal is Quaker's Cinnamon & Spice, but there are plenty of options that are even healthier. I usually go for the lower sugar boxes. To add a little extra protein, I make the oatmeal slightly soupier and mix in some peanut butter to thicken it. As for cereal, I tend to keep two boxes of Oatmeal Squares (Cinnamon and Brown Sugar) and one box of Cheerio's.

The Fruits & Veggies:

Apples, Bananas, & Clementines
It's not very easy to keep fresh fruit in the dorms, but these three tend to last a little longer. I try to make sure I eat at least one piece of fruit every day, if not more. It's also helpful to keep around a jar of peanut butter, cashew butter, or almond butter to pair with the apples or bananas for a snack that'll keep you full for longer.

Carrots & Hummus
These are a little bit harder to keep fresh, but I've found that they stay for about two weeks. Make sure you're not bingeing on the hummus, because too much can actually be pretty high in fat. Checking the serving size and spooning it out onto a plate can be helpful instead of eating straight from the container, like I sometimes do.

The Snacks:

Nuts, Trail Mix, Pretzels, & Popcorn
I do try to stay away from having carb-centered snacks, but sometimes I get a craving that just doesn't go away. To help out with that I try to have some healthier versions of these snacks, like lightly salted cashews and light butter popcorn. Letting myself have one of these means I probably won't binge later.

Dark Chocolate
Along the lines of cravings, I find it helpful to keep some kind of chocolate in my room. I have a terrible sweet tooth, and sometimes I just need some chocolate. I don't necessarily think it's bad to let yourself have something sweet every so often, and dark chocolate is the perfect thing for that.

Granola
It's pretty easy to keep a couple bags of this around, because they take a while to go stale. Right now I'm enjoying some flavors from Bear Naked, but Kind also does some amazing flavors. This is perfect to snack on if you're getting one of those carb-y cravings, but is also delicious over some milk or yogurt.

Bonus: Avocados, Rye Bread, & Turkey
This isn't exactly a snack, but sometimes I'm even too lazy to go down to my dining hall for lunch or dinner, and instead of having ramen or crappy microwave meals, I make a sandwich. After buying a loaf of bread I stick it in the freezer to keep it for longer, and then toast the bread before using it. I'll toss on some turkey and cheese, and if I have them, avocados. I also like to use avocados for toast, or just to snack on with some salt, pepper, and lemon juice.

All that being said, it's perfectly acceptable to indulge in some unhealthy foods too, as long as it's not all the time. My perfect balance is eating healthy Monday through Friday lunch, and then letting myself have some treats over the weekend. My college town has some pretty incredible food (I'm looking at you, mac n' cheese pizza), so I try not to let myself miss out on that.

What healthy snacks do you like to have?

1 comment

  1. This is such a great post because sometimes I just can not think of some quick and easy healthy snacks. Granola bars are so good, love the yoghurt coated ones.

    Meme xx

    New post:
    'What Big Eye's You Have//Firmoo Eyewear Giveaway*
    www.thedayinthelifeof.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne