The Makeup Dilemma: What to Bring to School

September 1, 2015


I'm a self-prescribed makeup addict, and while I have plenty of space for my collection at home, college is another story. Narrowing my collection down is not easy. I am guilty of picking up a product I haven't worn in months (maybe even years) and saying "but what if...". NO. Just get rid of it, Cassie. You don't need a sparkly purple lipstick leftover from the dance team years. This post is long and chattery, just like my makeup collection (am I trying to be funny?).



I began by making a list of everything I use on a daily basis, and then added in products that I use when I'm going out/want to look extra nice. My every day list was primer, foundation, concealer, powder, liquid liner, mascara, blush, lipstick. To spice it up I added eyeshadow, pencil liner, bronzer, and highlighter.

Next I went through my collection by the categories from the list. I tried on all my foundations and concealers in order to pick the few best of the bunch, looked at all my eyeliners and took one or two of each color, etc. The overall idea is that you don't need 7 coral blushes, just one or two of the best. It's totally acceptable (for me at least) to have a lot of products, just as long as they all have different uses and are actually, well, used.

Here's how my collection goes. From 6 bases I narrowed it down to the L'oreal Infallible Pro Matte Foundation and the Rimmel Match Perfection. Concealers went from 6...to 5. Oops. But 2 of them are mini sizes! I know, I know, I just love concealing. So I have Benefit Erase Paste, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, Revlon Color Stay Concealer, It Bye Bye Under Eye, and FAB Eye Duty. As for primer and powder, I usually only have one or two of each in rotation, so I'm sticking with the NYX Pore Filler and HD Setting Powder in Banana. I'm not a big bronzer girl, so the small pan of Nars Laguna in my One Night Stand Palette is enough. That also comes with 4 pink/berry blushes that I love and cherish. With that I added the Hourglass Blush palette (limited edition, sorry), because it adds two other pink/berry blush shades in addition to a neutral "no blush-blush" shade. I'm also bringing along the Becca x Jaclyn Hill Highlighter, because GOSH DARN it is just so beautiful and I went to so many different Sephoras in a 2 week time period just to find it.

Eyes and lips get a little tricky, because my focus is always on one or the other. I am a proud owner of all 3 Naked Palettes, but when it comes down to it, I really only use the first. I'll pull out the other two when I have a strong urge, but for the most part, it's all about #1. In addition to that, the Lorac Pro Palette 2 is one of my most used palettes, plus it has shades that are unique to that of Naked #1. I'm pretty much covered with those two palettes, but I decided to sneak in my Too Faced Natural Eyes Palette. It's fairly similar to Naked #1, but there are shades in there that I use a ton, and it's nice to have a little variety. For single shadows I grabbed Mac's All That Glitters and Mulch, because they're my absolute favorite combination. Maybelline's Color Tattoos in Creamy Beige and Bad to the Bronze also found their way into my bag because they double as a primer and a shadow. As for liner, I'm very into the Kat Von D Tattoo Liner right now, so that's all I need for liquid. Pencils I'm taking are Urban Decay's Plushie, Rimmel's Deep Blue, Clinique's Intense Charcoal, Covergirl's Brown Blaze, and Makeup For Ever's Matte Black (this is about 2 inches long). Mascara is Covergirl The Supersizer and Clinique High Impact.

I have too many lip products, I know. Thinking about it, I mostly wear brown nudes and wine/berries, so I told myself I could take more of those. Rimmel 08, Maybelline Touch of Spice, Revlon Super Natural, NYX Tiramisu, and Revlon Pink Truffle are sufficient for nudes and Rimmel 107, Maybelline Siren in Scarlet (also covers a red lippie), Nars Audrey, Bite Brandy, Revlon Red Velvet, and Nars Cruella check the boxes for the deep shades. Other than that, I have a few randoms that I wear a ton, so Mac Heroine, Chanel Boy, Origins Snapdragon, Revlon Berry SmoothieMaybelline Captivating Carnation, and Clinique Matte Beauty all made it. This is a nice combination of matte and creamy lipsticks, gloss, tinted balms, etc.

Lastly, I threw in the UD DeSlick Setting Spray, some eyelash curlers, and my most used brushes. This includes mostly Real Techniques. The Setting Brush, Powder Brush, Multi Tasker Brush, Expert Face Brush and Eye Shadow Blending Brush (no longer available). I also added the teeny tiny smudge brush from this Eco Tools set and this random Bare Minerals brush, plus the brushes from the Naked #2 and #3 palettes, because they're great for extensive eye shadow looks. Each brush serves a different purpose!

Yeah, this was difficult for me. I love my stuff. It's hard to part with it. But not impossible.

What would you bring with you for college?

3 comments

  1. Love your makeup bag! I have been deperate to get my hands on the Lorac pro palettes. They look amazing and such great colour selections. BTW I nominated you for a Liebster Award, the link to this is below. Look forward to your answers but there is no pressure to take part, it's entirely up to you xx

    http://www.franklyflawless.com/lifestyle/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your dilemma, narrowing down your collection is not easy at all haha.
    Have a good day xx

    selenaponcestyle.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bring my Naked palettes, I love them so much & you can create so many different looks with them (:
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne