Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015

January 2, 2015

I never make new years resolutions. Honestly, I think the last time I wrote some was in elementary school when our teachers made us. It's not that I think they're stupid, I actually think the idea of them is great, but something I've learned from my 17 and a half years of existence is that people have a lot of trouble following these huge, 'all or nothing' goals. Plus, piling on a lot at once, like exercising, eating healthy, procrastinating less, always being thankful, etc., can be too much to handle. I guess you could say this is pessimistic of me, but I think of it as more..practical. I don't want to be disappointed and get angry with myself when, come February, I realize I haven't been keeping up with my resolutions.
I think the reason a lot of us end up having this failure is because the goals we set are too big. If we just say "I want to exercise more", that doesn't really do anything because it leaves room for us to say "I'll do it tomorrow". But let's say your goal was "I want to exercise every Tuesday and Thursday of January". This is easy to follow and doesn't leave room for procrastinating, plus it'll put you in a habit of going every Tuesday and Thursday, which you could eventually increase once you get used to it.

So, after that long explanation, here are my goals.

Specific goal: have a major clear out at some point in January. 
Long term effect: stop hoarding things I don't need.
No, I'm not actually a hoarder. But, I do have a ton of things (a lot of them in my makeup collection) that are old and in need of being thrown out. I have so many products that I don't use because I didn't like the color or the quality, yet I keep them because some part of my mind tells me "Oh yeah, maybe at some point in the future I'll decide I like the product". Nah. That usually doesn't happen. Why do I keep them?

Specific goal: eat healthy and clean for 21 days consecutively.
Long term effect: create a habit of eating healthy. 
Throughout summer 2014 I was incredibly healthy. I was active during the day, went to the gym at night, and ate clean and healthy meals. However, when school started it became increasingly difficult to keep it up, and I fell into a rut of junk food, overeating, and not wanting to go to the gym. I know that next summer I'll be able to get back into the healthy routine, but what good is it to say "I'll do it then", when I could do it now? There is one catch with this goal - I have to treat myself if I want to. By depriving myself from something like chocolate or pizza or anything when I really want it, I'm setting myself up for failure. Another thing: if I fail, I can't be mad at myself. I have to just keep trying. When I'm angry at myself I stop trying.

Specific goal: read two classic novels and watch two classic movies in January.
Long term effect: start ticking off the classics on my list.
Yes, I am a nerd who has a list of all the classic novels I want to read, and another with all the classic movies I want to watch. I made progress over the summer, but once again school came and I failed. It's because I keep procrastinating for some reason, and I literally have no idea why. So this is the year that I'm going to become even more well read and well watched (is that a phrase?), and I'm going to do that by starting small in January.

So, however you try to accomplish your goals, I hope 2015 is the year that you do so. Get out there and do it.

What's your opinion on new years resolutions? If you like them, what are your's?

6 comments

  1. Good luck with your goals :)


    http://shannenandco.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good resolutions!
    I should stop hoarding things I don't need too. I'm always saying that to me, so maybe this year I could reach it!

    Happy New Year! xx

    Chelo
    flyinginvogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you achive your 2015 goals!

    http://www.metpm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year! i don't really have any specific resolutions besides traveling more and being more positive :)

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne