The Color Focus: Purple

November 4, 2014


A little while back I posted this, which went through all the different nude-colored products I have in my beauty collection. Now I'm moving on to my favorite color, which is purple. I don't have any lip products in this one (purple lips aren't really my thing..), but I've got some great eye products and a few nail polishes.
Almay Intense i-Color Liner in Purple Amethyst (old review here)


This isn't a true purple- it's more of a periwinkle/blue toned purple. Nevertheless I really love the color; I think it looks gorgeous in the waterline for a pop of color. The product itself isn't my favorite of all the eyeliners I have, but it's not awful, especially considering it's a drugstore product. It's pretty highly pigmented, but it's just a tad bit dry and has a tendency to tug a little bit when applying it. However that doesn't seem to bother me that much, because everything else about it is pretty great.

Urban Decay Velvet Eye Pencil in Plushie



This is more of a true purple, and I can't even explain how much I love this specific shade. I love wearing this in the waterline, but I'll also wear it on my upper lids because I think it's dark enough that it doesn't look too out there, but it's still unique. The finish is pretty matte, which I love because a shiny or shimmery purple would be a little too much for me. Besides that the product is so great. Urban Decay liners are always amazing, and this one doesn't fall short of the expectations. It's pigmented, doesn't tug on the lids like the previous one, and lasts for a long time.

Lorac Pro Palette 2



I finally convinced myself to get one of the Lorac palettes, and I'm so glad I did. Still not exactly sure why I went for 2 first, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting 1 in the near future because I'm obsessed with this one. I'll probably do a full review eventually, but in short the quality of the shadows is stunning. Each is so pigmented that you only need a tiny bit and it goes a long way. They're smooth and blend together beautifully and somehow last the entire day and still look good. The purple shade in this palette, 'plum', is so versatile; I've worn this in the crease, the outer corner, and the lower lashline, and it's looked incredible every time.

Revlon ColorStay Eyeshadow in Seductive (old review here)



The quality of these shadows aren't as great as some of the others, but for the drugstore I think they're pretty good. They're a bit thinner, less pigmented, and feel more powdery, but they have pretty good lasting power and the shades blend easily. I almost like the fact that they aren't extremely pigmented, because the colors are pretty daring. This makes it easy to start out with a lighter wash of each and build it up if you want more color. My favorite shade is the darkest purple, which I love wearing in the outer corner or on the lower lashline.

Mac Eyeshadow in Shale



I don't actually have a ton to say about this shadow, because I have to confess that I haven't used it a lot. I will say that all Mac shadows are incredible: they're highly pigmented, last hours and hours, blend well, and are soft and smooth. All this aside, I haven't exactly found the right way to use this color. I love the shade when I swatch it, but I just find that it never looks quite right when I try to use it. It's a beautiful mushroom-y purple (I don't think the picture does the color justice, if I were you I'd go over to a Mac counter and swatch it yourself). If anyone has this shade and has a particular way they like wearing it, I'd love to hear!

bareMinerals eyeshadow in October (unfortunately discontinued, but you can buy it here, and here & here are similar shades)



As you can probably tell, this is a messy shadow. It's the only loose powder eyeshadow I have, probably because I'm really bad at using them. However when I do somehow get just the right amount deposited onto my brush, it has stunning results. The shade looks great in the outer corner or smoked out on the lower lashline, especially with some black liner thrown into the waterline. It has some flecks of glitter in it, so I would save this for a party or a night out. The shadow is really pigmented (I mean seriously pigmented- when I try to use it I usually spill it all over and smudge purple everywhere), it lasts, and it blends amazingly.

Rimmel Eyeshadow Paint in Manganese Purple



I'll admit that I don't have a lot to say about this either. I bought it on a whim a while back because I loved the color and had decided to try something different from what I normally buy. However, a few months later it's sitting in my drawer and has only been opened a few times. Every time I swatch it it just seems really patchy, and it feels a little tight when it dries. I'm thinking maybe that I could use it as a base for a smokey eye...but other than that I'm lost on what to do with this. Any suggestions?

Orly Nail Polish in Charged Up


Although this particular shade is discontinued, I really like the quality of the Orly polishes. I find that most polishes chip after one or two days, but this usually lasts a little longer. This color didn't require a lot of coats, one or two did it, plus it dried pretty fast. (swatch here)

OPI Nail Polish in Planks A Lot


I love this color so much. I'm a huge fan of lilac/lavender shades, so I'm always happy with this on my nails. That being said, I don't love the formula of the OPI polishes, because I feel like they chip really easily and I end up having to touch them up every day that I have them on. They also seem to require a lot of coats to create opacity. But, the colors are gorgeous so I usually just suck it up and wear them anyways. (swatch here)

Thanks for reading! What's your favorite purple product?

1 comment

  1. I love purple on my eyes too! I think it really makes them pop - and deeper purples are a good alternative to black which can be just that little bit too harsh sometimes :) xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne