August Favorites

September 1, 2014

I cannot believe that August is already over! It was definitely one of the best months of the year so far, and I'm hoping that the rest of the year continues to be just as good. I don't have quite as many beauty bits this month because I was going for a more natural look, but I do have a ton of music to share, so keep reading for some recommendations!

My first beauty favorite has been the Maybelline Pumped Up Mascara in Classic Black.

This is an awesome mascara that does all the things it should- lengthens, volumizes, and lasts all day. It's also not too hard to remove, which is one of my pet peeves with waterproof mascara. So far it's been great for school, because my makeup has to last for at least 7 hours, and this mascara definitely has.

Next is the NYX Butter Gloss in Vanilla Cream Pie.



I first discovered this for my "Battle of the Drugstore Gloss Balms" which was where I took 5 different lipstick/lip gloss hybrids and compared them. This was by far my favorite of the few that I tried, mainly because the color is so flattering. The formulation is incredible as well: it has the perfect balance between glossy and not sticky, while still smelling nice and only costing $5. I'm sure by the end of the year I'll have a few more of these...

Now here's the music I briefly mentioned: Earlier in August I fell in love with an extensive list of songs- House of Gold by twenty one pilots, Tighten Up by The Black Keys, Keep On Walking & Fairytales and Firesides by Passenger, As Tall As Cliffs by Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, and Riptide by Vance Joy- just to name the absolute favorites. Later in the month I became obsessed with the Arctic Monkeys' album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. Also, honorable mention goes out to two things: first is TRXYE, which is the youtuber Troye Sivan's debut EP. It's absolutely amazing and totally worth a listen. Secondly, I went to a CD signing for the 1975 this month, and it was one of the most fun things of my summer! It included an acoustic show, which was phenomenal, and then of course, the signing. The guys were so nice and their album is one of my favorites. It's definitely worth a listen too!


Two movies I watched this month that are absolutely amazing are Dead Poets Society (in honor of the late Robin Williams) and The Graduate, which is an all time classic. Both are very different, the first being more serious, but one that will stay in your mind for a long time, and the latter being a bit more funny and odd.

My favorite quote of August has to be an excerpt from O Me! O Life!, by Walt Whitman (if you've seen Dead Poets Society, you'll know why) and it goes:
"That you are here- that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse."

Thanks for reading! What are your August favorites?

1 comment

  1. The NYX Butter Gloss looks like one to add to my ever growing list, ha ha :) xx
    http://insaneaboutmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne