Picture Day Makeup

August 12, 2014


Taking pictures can be very stressful, because you want to make sure you look your best. I have my senior year pictures coming up, so I've compiled my favorite beauty tips for taking pictures into a list, including what makeup I wear & things I like to do the night before to prepare myself.

During the week prior to taking the picture there are a few things you can do to help your skin look better. Make sure to drink a lot of water, eat healthier, and get a lot of sleep. Eating a lot of junk food can make you break out, so while it's important to constantly eat healthy, it's even more important if you want your skin to look good in a picture. It's also a good idea not to change up your skincare routine right before, because you don't know how your skin will react to new products. 

The night before is when you should do tasks like tweeze your eyebrows so you look especially polished. I'd also recommend using a very trusted face mask either the night or morning before. My favorite is this one from the Body Shop. 

For makeup, it's really important that you look like yourself in the picture. Unless you have a signature look, like winged liner or red lipstick, I recommend wearing natural looking makeup. Here's what I plan on doing...

Face: 

I began with using the Porefessional Primer by Benefit, which helps give an overall smoother look to my skin. You can use any primer that you think works best on you, and if you don't like primers or don't need one, feel free to skip this step.

From what I've heard, using a foundation with SPF in it can cause your face to look ghostly or white in pictures, so I opted for the Nars Sheer Glow foundation in the shade Deauville, which I don't believe has any SPF in it. However, if you have a favorite foundation that you know looks good in pictures, definitely go for that one. I wouldn't recommend using a foundation that's too light for your skin tone, because that could wash you out. Again, if you hate foundation, etc., you don't have to use one. 

Next I used my favorite concealer combo, which is the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye in the shade Neutral Medium + the Garnier Eye Roller for my dark circles (I spoke about these in my July Favorites). I like using these because they cover my dark circles & also bring light to the area. After that I used the Almay Clear Complexion Concealer in Light/Medium to cover redness around my nose. It's important to use products that work well specifically for you, so try different products until you find what's best. 

Following this I used the transparent Rimmel Stay Matte Powder on my t-zone. This is one of the most important steps, because it's awful to have a shiny face in pictures. 

Brows:

Personally I don't need to fill in my eyebrows because they're naturally dark, but if you have sparse brows it might be a good idea to fill them in, as they can really frame your face. However, if you've never done it before, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to try for this first time on your picture day. 

Cheeks: 

For blush I used Nars' Deep Throat. I love this color for my skin tone right now because it looks like a natural flush. One way to find your natural flush color is to pinch your cheeks & see what shade they naturally turn. 

I'm not a big fan of bronzer or contouring, so I decided to skip this step. If you do like doing this, just make sure you use a matte bronzer or contour powder, because that'll look the most natural. 

Eyes: 

First I used Urban Decay's primer in Eden to even out the color of my eyelids. I didn't want to use any shadow because I felt like I look most like myself without it. 

My next step was to tightline my eyes. In order to do this, you have to put eyeliner in the upper inner rims of your eye, so essentially in your upper waterline. Because I wanted my makeup to last a while, I used the Maybelline Gel Liner in Blackest Black and then stamped a little Urban Decay Shadow in Blackout on top of it. This gives the illusion that your lash line is naturally thicker, therefore enhancing how you normally look. 

Lashes are one of my favorite parts of makeup, so I curled mine and added a lot of Covergirl's Clump Crusher mascara in Very Black. For this, you should use your absolute favorite mascara that volumizes, lengthens, defines, etc. 

Lips:


Lastly, use a 'your lips but better' shade. I wouldn't recommend doing a full out nude lip, because that could wash you out. Make sure you use something that has pink, peach, or red undertones, so you still look like you're alive. I used a Revlon Lip Butter in Juicy Papaya, and then blended it in with my finger. On top of that I dabbed a bit of Benefit's California Kissin Lip Gloss, which has a blue tint to make your teeth look whiter. 

Thanks for reading! I hope these tips were helpful.

Post a Comment

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne