DIY Front Pocket Shirt

July 24, 2014


I mentioned in my summer bucketlist that one thing I wanted to do was DIY shirts. The first style I tried was adding a front pocket, or a frocket, to a plain shirt. There's plenty of cute options that you can buy at a regular store, but I wanted something that was a cheaper alternative.

Step 1: Gather Materials
You'll need a plain shirt, fabric for the pocket, fabric scissors, fabric glue, cardboard, a pocket stencil, an iron, a ruler, and a pencil.

Step 2: Trace Stencil On Cardboard
Use the ruler & pencil to trace the stencil onto cardboard and cut it out.



Step 3: Cut A Square Of Pocket Fabric
Now you'll take the pocket fabric and cut a large square, making sure it's bigger than the pocket stencil.



Step 4: Fold & Iron Fabric
Fold over the edges of the fabric and iron them for a few seconds to create creases. This will make it easier for you when attaching the pocket to the shirt.



Step 5: Mark Where You Want The Pocket
At this point I put on the shirt I was using and marked where I wanted to have the pocket. I found it helpful to use a shirt that already had a front pocket as a guide.


Step 6: Glue Pocket To Shirt
It's a little tricky here, so I recommend having someone there to help you. It's also a good idea to put a piece of cardboard inside the shirt so it stays flat. Put fabric glue on the edges of the pocket, but not the top edge so it can stay open. It might be helpful to have an extra pair of hands around, so that's where another person could come in handy. After putting on the glue, place the pocket where you marked it on the shirt and press down for a few seconds. Let it dry, then admire and enjoy your work!


The pocket looks kinda centered in this picture, but it looks normal when I'm wearing it, I swear

Thanks for reading! I hope this inspired you to make something cool.

5 comments

  1. Omg this is actually so cool! I am def going to try this! It looks great! Could I do DIY collar?

    Lets keep in touch and follow each other on bloglovin! I always follow back!

    Love from Canada,
    Marie from www.ElleCharie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be super cute if you put your monogram on the pocket!!
    www.themegnolia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a great way to make a plain shirt look interesting, thanks!
    Would you like to follow each other on GFC, g+, and bloglovin? Let me know on my blog :)

    http://ramyun-pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followed you on GFC, you've got a great blog :)

      Delete

Copyright © Blush and Fairy Dust
Design by Fearne